Is It Just Me?

Am I the only one who gets pissed off to the point of veins popping out of my neck when people share things on Facebook that haven’t been checked? A lot of it is stupid and mindless, but there are some that scare the bejeezus out of people. These are the dire warnings. Recently I was confronted with one stating that Huggies Snug and Dry diapers can leak and give your baby chemical burns. There was a picture of a baby with burns on it’s legs and a warning that these diapers had leaked their gel and put that baby in the hospital. It was shared by two different friends.

Now you should know that I’m a skeptic. When I see these, along with almost everything else on Facebook, I go and check into it to make sure it’s true before I scare the piss out of any of my friends. 90% of the time it’s a hoax, so I put the links to my findings in their comments. Sometimes they thank me and take it down, but most of the time they get their hackles up and attack me for giving a shit about what is shared on the internet.

This is what it looked like this time:

Is that the way to go about it? I don’t know. I used to post a warning that if I saw another free Costco gift card, video of a girl that killed herself, or Bill Gates giving everyone $5000, that I would delete whoever posted it. It was good as I was able to delete over a hundred people in about a month. Then Facebook made it so I could hide people’s posts from my news feed. That was okay, but made no sense. People didn’t know what they were doing wrong, and it seemed like they should have the chance to be educated and to quit sharing all of this false material.

The problem is that they don’t want to quit. They like being assholes. I have brought it to the attention of the same people on many different occasions. They keep doing it because they just don’t care. For a few of them it was like a contest to see who was the most ignorant person on my friends list. I’m sure there was a private message like this somewhere:

Friend #1 – Did you see what Chris Bird wrote on my status where I shared the Amber Alert? Who the fuck does he think he is?

Friend #2 – I know. He’s thinks he’s a FB police or something. How were you apposed to know that it was a hoax from 3 years ago?

#1 – Yah! He’s all like, “This is the third time you shared this in two months.” Is it my fault I care about stolen kids?

#2 – No way. You just got a big heart is all. He’s a stupid dick. I’m gonna go share my free Tim Hortons card thing now, I hope this one works. Make sure you like and share it to get yours too.

#1 – Oh, I’m gonna. I love Timmies.

So, are you an offender, indifferent, or a cringer?

About ChrisBird

A self proclaimed "free thinker", Chris has spent most of his life doing what he wants. He wears lovely velour shirts at will, and he rarely brushes his teeth. If you find something at a thrift store that you feel needs to be modelled, please let him know, and he will tell you where to send it. When he is not being whimsical, he can be found in “The Cocoon” with his forgiving wife, and his dog Blue. Well, except for when it’s time for romance, that’s when Blue has to skedaddle. You only make that mistake once. He can be found at Change The Topic, on the ultra-cool Google+, The Twitter, and sadly, Facebook.

Comments

1. kyooty/Mary says:

And sadly the original posting page will get all kinds of page views to stupid!!! only so much stupid a person can find in a day. I had posted one, someone told me, I clicked the delete button. It was SOOOOOOOO easy!

• ChrisBird says:

Ahhh, but you are one of the few that doesn’t mind if someone gives you a heads up. Most people aren’t that evolved. They take it as someone is calling them stupid or foolish. Sadly, a lot of the problems in the world are because people get their back up and won’t calmly discuss things.

2. Nichola says:

THIS drives me nuts. It takes 20 seconds to copy and paste into a search engine to see if something is true. The biggest issue I take with this is that it diminishes the impact of REAL stories, REAL issues and REAL amber alerts. You know what else drives me up the flipping wall? ‘Click if you love God (your kids, ponies, cats) Christ on a cracker people!

3. CaroleF says:

so many people thrive on panic-laden materials and will believe anything rather than research it because it’s just easier ( read: LAZY ) therefore when they get offended by a learned person, their imbecilic behaviour is brought like a sword and shield. ” I must defend my stupidity!!”

4. Francine Colman says:

Idiots. That’s all! Any time someone points out a mistake you should learn from it.
    I had an argument over a horribly disfigured baby that was supposedly given $5 for the surgery from FB for every like.
    I was called callous and told that it can’t hurt to share awareness.
    Really? We all have to turn on FB to know there are disfigured babies out there?

5. Francine Colman says:

If I forget to fact-check, keep pointing it out to me, Birdman. And what’s wrong with a little policing if it makes people smarter? :)

6. Well, you know how I feel about it, dude! I wrote a piece about people posting stupid shit, and those same people who pass on that shit came over and hijacked the comments. Talk about defending stupid! Jesus. I’m like, THAT SOUNDS RIDICULOUS. BET IT IS. LEMME CHECK. I don’t understand why anyone would automatically believe something that seems “off”. I don’t consider myself overly intellectual, but maybe I’m selling myself short. Maybe I just *AM* that much smarter than the average ape. hmm.

7. Carolyn says:

I say keep calling them out. After repeatedly pointing these things out to my mom whenever she would forward some blatant urban legend to her entire contact list, she finally started checking Snopes or something before she passed it on. One person down, countless more to go.

8. Tricia O. says:

Super pet peeve. I’ve written about it, and I have no problem telling people they are wrong. It’s one of my hobbies, actually.

I also have to note that the people arguing with you have no punctuation skills. Do with that what you will.

9. Diana says:

It’s why I don’t ever receive emails from my in-laws, they are not thrilled with the returned corrections.

10. Jackson says:

Really?? Do people seriously think that FB will donate ANY money for a specific amount of likes or re-posts? Chris, I will follow you anywhere! LOL… LOVE YOUR BLATANT honesty and the fact that you say what you think! need MORE people like you buddy!!

11. I.Love.This! I have gotten into big arguments with my MIL over her proclamation of shit being true when in fact it is total BS. Drives me fucking nuts.

12. CarolSue says:

Chris,
    I just found this info on a friends FB about the diapers. Her aunt posted the information I’m sure she’s thinking of my friend. I dislike it when people post before they know. I’ll always check to see if it real or not before I say anything. I love Snopes.com, I’m not sure how I found you but thanks for the great tips. Who cares what others say. Remember you’re only trying to help others with the real facts by getting the word out. I will keep checking in to see all the great post.. Hope you don’t mind a new online friend… Have a great day!!!

• ChrisBird says:

I love online friends. I find that they are less annoying than the ones that keep drinking all of my beer and pissing on the toilet seat. Thank you for fighting the good fight and for not passing the diaper scare on. You are one of the good ones.

13. Linda says:

I hate this too. I applaud you for saying something and standing your ground. If it’s not the shocking unchecked hoaxes, it’s reporting that some luminary is dead. At last count, I think Nelson Mandela has died a half dozen times. And by the time Morgan Freeman actually dies, I won’t believe it.

14. DannyK says:

Wow, I love the commentary from your friends. Hilarious. There’s no stopping moronic behavior online!! Rest assured that a small percentile of planetary occupants are sentenced to saving the human race from extinction. Keep up the good work.

15. DannyK says:

I’d also like to point out that your friend has to *know for herself* as a mom.
    So does this mean her only action is to make her kid wear these diapers and see if she can cause these chemical burns?

16. TheZB says:

I know I’m a bit late to the party here, but I recently deleted/hid roughly half of my friends on Facebook for this ridiculousness. I commented a few times to some people how “If it gets you that outraged… It’s probably not true. And a simple google search would show [insert link to THE FIRST FUCKING GOOGLE SEARCH RESULT, WHICH REFUTES THE STUPID.]”

My results? I always got “Lol/haha, I just thought it was interesting! Ain’t nobody got time to check facts!” My argument is I “ain’t got time” to waste brain space on bullshit. DELETED.