Well, it happened. I walked into Target and found the dreaded display. Don’t be coy with me, you know which one I’m talking about.
The Back To School display.
Thank Goddess it’s in the back of the store so it can be avoided on some level. But the signage hits us at the entryway to jolt us into an unbridled frenzy for three inch binders, loose leaf and number two pencils.
And listen – I’ve been there – we’ve all been there. So we feel your pain. The feeling of impending education is overwhelming in the midst of sunning and funning. As a parent it’s almost as daunting. The moment that teacher’s list of ‘must haves’ appears in our inboxes, we’re sweating it. Should we shop ahead of time and risk having the school supply rug pulled out from under our feet when it’s eventually changed and/or we bought all the wrong things? Or do we go for it now, before the angry mobs leave nothing in their wake except a couple of Hello Kitty folders and a twelve pack of purple glue sticks. Let’s face it – nobody wants the purple glue sticks.
Fear not my school age friends, I’ve found a solution to the late August doom. Hence, I lay before you my 5 Ways To Combat the Back To School Blues.
1. Know that not only will you have a swift resolution to the questions that have plagued you over the summer months. You shall soon or might already know who The Next Food Network Star is, which American Has Talent and Whose Line It Was Anyway. And hey, look on the bright side – Glee starts soon.
2. All those awesome Back To School fashions are just waiting for you to scoop them up! When else do you have carte blanche to buy clothes? And shoes? And accessories?! ‘Nuff said.
3. You’ll see your friends and catch up on all the essential summer gossip. Who got with who? Who broke up with who? (Or is that whom?) You’ll get all the answers once you hit English class! Did Miss Anderson finally hook up with Mr. Jennings? Because you know they didn’t spend most of last year loitering in the hall talkin’ ’bout Science. Snap!
4. You won the Royal Baby pool. It’s a boy and you knew it! Now you’re going to rake in some serious cash and then it’s straight to the mall where…
5. He has been working all summer. But it’s not like you could go every day, right? Gotta keep your excitement on the down low. Now, however, you found out from a friend of a friend of a friend that he’s in your third period Algebra class. If you’re lucky, x + y will equal sparks. To the third power!
See? You don’t feel so bad about school starting up again, am I right? In fact, it’s kind of exciting when you think about it. Just remember the 5 Ways. And next time you hit Target, stay in the front of the store.