How Boobs Changed My Life

I remember the day I got boobs. Yes, it was a specific day, as if they grew overnight. The morning of our senior class picture, I’d begrudgingly woken up for school. Just a month before, I’d turned 16, gotten accepted to college, and gotten my period. Can you imagine the emotions? So this day, yet another event in the finality of my ending childhood, was not a happy one. I don’t like endings, and as much as I’d wished to finalize my time as “the late bloomer,” I couldn’t help but think it was all moving too fast. I thought right.

As I slipped on the grey sweater I’d purchased just weeks ago for the shoot, it immediately felt too tight, but in all the right places. As I looked in the mirror, with my hair placed just so and these new signs of womanhood strategically placed on my chest, I knew this was it. It was time to say goodbye to the girl I once knew and get to know the woman I saw within me that day. There always comes a time when we have to let go of dealing with childish things, and gracefully walking into adulthood. As the tears dropped from my eyes, I succumbed to my time.

We sat in our assigned places in the auditorium. The pictures were taken and our day was done. The weeks after were a whirlwind:  graduation, parties, moving to college dorms, and even high school friends lost. But what I concluded then was that this was all a new era in my life. A new person was emerging from all of this change and she was turning out to be pretty great. She was someone I’d love to be friends with, and grown from that girl I saw in the mirror mere months earlier.

You may have a day where you realize just how far you’ve come, or as it happened to me, you just might wake up to a chest full of boob and lots of emotion. Just know that it’s all part of life as a woman, life full of promising change. Enjoy the moments and celebrate your recent endings and new beginnings.

Photo Credit

About Amiyrah Martin

Amiyrah is a self-proclaimed hippie that just happens to be a munitions specialist in the New Jersey Air National Guard. She's also a full time Mom, Wife, and writer of all things mundane. She has a twitter addiction, a baking obsession, and love of uploading videos on YouTube for hundreds to see. You can find her at 4 Hats and Frugal where she talks about family, food, fashion and finance; the 4 hats in her life.

Comments

1. Ridx says:

2. Adrianna Domingos-Lupher says:

Love, love, love this. May we always progress forward and full of boobs.

3. Jennifer says:

Alas, boobs have eluded me most of my life. Might be why I loved nursing :) I know that is not what this article is ALL about, but unfortunately boobs do take up an awful lot of “time” in women’s lives don’t they? Now I am contemplating what my “ah-ha” moment was when I realized I was all grown up. My 10 y.o. is struggling with growing up. She figured out the Santa Claus-thing and has cried on and off for a couple of months. She hates growing up she said.

• Amiyrah says:

I completely feel for your girl. Those growing pains really do take a toll on us, at any age. I hope you can give her lots of hugs and support for the next few years. We both know how tough they may be for her.

4. Nickida says:

I don’t even remember when mines finally grew in. LOL. I guess I wasn’t even thinking of it.

5. Nikki says:

Mine grew way too early! I was 9 and had to wear a bra. It kind of sucked. I liked wearing my undershirts!

6. Kelsey Apley says:

I have never really been blessed in the breast area like others. But, I am okay with that. I think when I was younger I didn’t want them because I was not confident enough – I thought everyone was staring at me :-)! Funny to see how others remember that moment in there life!

7. Susan says:

I don’t remember when mine came either! Great post :)

8. I don’t know when my boobs finally grew in. It was far too gradual, but it was a good thing. I wasn’t looking forward tot hem. I was a tomboy. And i saw all my friends that were girls wearing double and triple sports bras in Gym class to help with the pain; as the teacher was unsympathetic to the girls and their blooming chests. So, I was glad mine didn’t come in heavy. I didn’t even fill an A cup when I graduated high school. It wasn’t until I was married that I finally filled, then passed up the A. By then. I was completely ready to walk int he role of womanhood. Thankfully my growing up didn’t come when I wasn’t prepared. I was allowed time to adjust and think about what I really wanted before I was phycially adapted into Womanhood.

• Amiyrah says:

It’s so great when you can gradually find your way into womanhood. I’m really hoping that my daughter will have the opportunity to be young, free and enter her womanhood when she’s ready. Thanks to life, I know that’s not guaranteed, but we can always have have hope right? Thanks for commenting :)

9. I really liked this article. It was a nice story about a special moment. Even though I have always been boob free unless I was nursing children, I understood all the subtle and underlying things this moment represented. It was a very nicely told story.

10. Funny, my boobs grew in one weekend too and they hurt like hell.
    The next time they caused me pain was when I found out I was pregnant. It hurt to wear a shirt!

11. Sheri says:

I think I’ve had boobs since birth. Always been blessed in that area. I do distinctly remember the day I got my period. Oh the memories of puberty…

12. I was happy to say goodbye to high school; those really are awkward and overwhelming times. You seem to have graced through it though!