Looks Like We Made It

By the time you read this, we will have said goodbye to 2012 and will be taking our first tentative steps into 2013.

I am relieved to have survived the Mayan apocalypse as well as our own personal Pre-Christmas Curse which began with a skull fracture on December 23rd in 2011 and continued with this year’s flu diagnosis on the same day, right before we were to host Christmas eve for close to 40 people.

We got through it and sent our family back to Kansas City with new socks, cologne, photographs, memories and yes – the flu.

I have a handful of funny stories I could share with you. I could spin you a cautionary tale about testing and refining a cocktail recipe repeatedly before your guests arrive. I could tell you about making Never Fail Fudge and spending an evening eating it out of a pan with a spoon because it never set. I could talk about regrets – like that whole V symbol tongue gesture I did during Christmas carols in front of my friend’s dad.

More than anything, though, I just want to talk about how reflecting on the past year of my life makes me reflect on yours too.

So much can happen in a year. We overcome and survive so much – big and small. We revel in accomplishments, cry in the wake of myriad losses. We make friends. We create community. We do it in the real world and we do it online and, for me, the lines between those two worlds began to blur even more in the past year.

But we are still here and waiting for what another year will hold.

So, yeah.  I am not feeling very funny today, but – damn – I am feeling so grateful…for all of you who come here and read and comment, for those I’ve met through Aiming Low in the past year, for the encouragement and the laughter and for all the times that I wrote something crazy and someone said, “Oh my god! Me too!”

Yes, I’m grateful for all of that and more because it matters. It means something.

As I sit here beneath my down comforter in the tundra of Minnesota with my super crazy bed head and my fingers on the keys of this laptop, I am wishing everyone the best in 2013.

Take the bull by the horns!

Let’s kick some ass!

I’d dump Gatorade on all of you, but I’d have to do that virtually and I can’t remember if I got the extended warranty on this Macbook Pro.

Onward, we go. Onward.

Photo Credit

About Vikki

Vikki is a bored social worker by day and a mom/writer/pop culture junkie by night. She writes about GLBT issues and parenting at her personal blog Up Popped A Fox and her writing has also appeared at Grace the Spot and Autostraddle. She also has an inexplicable fascination with marshmallow Peeps. Don't ask.

Comments

1. Onward, my friend. Lead the way!!!

2. Vikki says:

Onward indeed, my friend!

3. “The past year held many unexpected things for me – some good, some challenging – as I am sure it did for all of us.”
    Yes, yes it did and it always does.
    I do make resolutions (my daughter makes revolutions because she says that’s much better) and then I break them and it’s a never-ending cycle year after year, but that’s alright – because it means we are still here!
    Happy New Year!

4. becca says:

onward and upward Vikki, onward to a future bright with possibilities!! :)

5. Dr. Ding says:

You crack me up and make me reflect. Good combo.

6. Deborah says:

Not feeling funny?!? The image of you, that tongue gesture and your friend’s dad has kept me laughing for a very, very long time. I thank you for kicking off the year with that visual. Rock on.

7. Galit Breen says:

Ohnward, indeed!

Love this, friend!

{So very grateful to call you a friend, and excited to kick some ass shoulder to shoulder with you this year!}

xo

8. grandemocha says:

Love that you gave the flu for Christmas and that you can’t get your no fail fudge to set either. I love fudge but it never works out for me.

Cool Peeps pic!

9. Alexandra says:

You drop the bomb of doing that V/tongue thing in front of your friend’s dd and it’s not a post?

Woman, who ARE YOU?

Happy to know you, Vikki, and I love you very, very much. You made Aiming Low NonCon for me. It never would have been what it was, without you.

xo

• Vikki says:

I was feeling very thoughtful and reflective when I wrote this. Also, my memory might be a little hazy.

So happy to know you too and hope that we get to spend more time together in 2013.

10. I’m wondering where the V tongue gesture combo fit into the caroling scheme of things. I dunno, but it cracked me up! And I’m doing the same thing (“me too”!) avoiding the Jersey cold under the down comforter with the Mac Pro perched on my lap. Good call on the Gatorade, btw.

Here’s to kicking 2013′s ass!

11. Nelson says:

I enjoyed the post. All the best in 2013 and thanks @galitbreen for pointing me here.

12. Laurie says:

I’d apologize for causing one of your challenges by leaving you outside in the dark to get not-attacked by a barn owl, but I don’t feel like it. Instead I’ll say that I’m so happy you joined the ranks of my favorite friends in record time this year, and NOT just because you use “myriad” correctly, or because you’re my favorite consultant as regards my evolving hair and all issues thereto appertaining. Those are only two. I’m sure I can think of more, but now I’m tired from typing. Here’s to more weird fake animals and no more rogue birds in 2013.

13. Laurie says:

And props for the Barry reference. Mad props, yo.

14. Meg says:

Yes, 2012 has been quite a year. I found out my husband had been cheating and that he “doesn’t love me anymore”. He moved out and now it’s just me and the kids. But I know there are way worse things in this world. My children are not facing a life threatening illness. Not am I. They have been safe at school so far. There are so many things that could be worse and there are so many things to still be thankful for. But this year has been rough. And it’s not over yet. Thanks for sharing your stories, Vikki. You don’t know how much they are appreciated. For a few moments I can think of something else and laugh. That’s a gift!

15. Meg says:

Ugh, Nor*

16. Esther Wifler says:

Enjoyed this post but now I have Barry Manilow going through my head.