Look, Daddy-I’m A Writer

There are some similarities.

He doesn’t understand. He probably thinks I should get a good factory job, work there for thirty years, then retire with a good pension. You know, just like he did.

Sometimes I wish I could do it, but that would have me retiring at 71. There also aren’t many “good” factory jobs anymore. You’re lucky to get twelve bucks an hour now. He was pretty lucky in that regard.

When I started my blog, a little over a year ago, I mentioned it at Thanksgiving dinner.

“What’s a blog?”

“Well, I just write stories about things I’ve done, things I’m doing, things I want to do. Kind of whatever.”

“How do you make money at that? Does someone pay you to do it?”

“No. I am trying to figure out how. There’s one blogger that kind of does the same thing as me, and she makes pretty good money off of ads and writing for other papers and shit. I think you have to do it for a while to get known though.”

“How many people read your blog?”

“Usually around fifty, but some posts have had over 150. Those were the ones about Aaron and I flipping the canoe in the river.”

“Jesus. Fifty people want to read what you wrote? That’s pretty good.”

“Yeah, I know. It’s hard to believe.”

It really was hard to believe. What the fuck have I ever done that would interest anyone?

While Dad was trying to comprehend what would make me want to write my life down on the Internet for free, I was thinking about how shitty it would be to stand at a machine, trimming plastic parts as they come out of the mold. It’s no wonder people in factories fuck each other into alcoholism on a regular basis. They’re bored as shit.

Don’t get me wrong, I like sex and booze as much as the next guy. I just don’t want to abuse those vices out of a necessity to feel alive like many people do.

Wait, I’m not saying that everyone in a factory is philandering away their life, because some people embrace it. Some folks, like my Papa, need a routine, and love having their life planned out for them. It ain’t right and it ain’t wrong, it just is.

I’m not one of those people, and for over a year now I’ve wanted to be a blogger, so when Kym contacted me about Aiming Low, I felt like I had finally accomplished that. Whether my dad, or anyone else, understands it, I feel like I’ve done something. Something that got noticed. Something real.

What’s something you’ve done that makes you proud?

About ChrisBird

A self proclaimed "free thinker", Chris has spent most of his life doing what he wants. He wears lovely velour shirts at will, and he rarely brushes his teeth. If you find something at a thrift store that you feel needs to be modelled, please let him know, and he will tell you where to send it. When he is not being whimsical, he can be found in “The Cocoon” with his forgiving wife, and his dog Blue. Well, except for when it’s time for romance, that’s when Blue has to skedaddle. You only make that mistake once. He can be found at Change The Topic, on the ultra-cool Google+, The Twitter, and sadly, Facebook.

Comments

1. Lovelyn says:

Explaining blogging to my parents has been rough. They just don’t get it. My mother doesn’t understand why I don’t go into social work like every other woman in the family, but writing is all I ever really wanted to do. They’ll get it some day and even if they don’t that’s okay because I’m happy and that’s all that really matters.

2. Arbine says:

“Whether my dad, or anyone else, understands it, I feel like I’ve done something. Something that got noticed. Something real.” – Totally understand this feeling.

I don’t think some of my family members and friends really get the whole blogging thing but I love it. :)

3. I hear ya – I really do. I tried to explain it to my mother and I don’t think she gets it. That’s okay, because all that matters is that I get to do it and I love it. I’ve always
    followed an artistic path anyway. The thing that makes me proud? Same as you -
    being right here at Aiming Low! :)

• ChrisBird says:

That’s the weird thing. I never have done anything remotely creative before. Outside of my own head, that is. Never wrote stories, but thought of lots, same with songs. I’d come up with a catchy tune, but couldn’t play an instrument to save my life, so after humming the shit out of them, they would get forgotten. I guess that means they weren’t that good.

4. Hillary says:

I was in the hospital following a car accident when my first post got published here on Aiming Low. Really brightened things up – especially reading others’ comments! I can’t quite figure out all the other aspects of blogging, but I love writing and seeing that others have read my words.

5. Cindy Brown says:

I love my blog and am proud of it. Glad you found the outlet and are sharing yourself with the world. I don’t care who you are, that takes guts. And yeah, our parents are a different generation and don’t understand blogging. My step-dad said almost the same words when I mentioned my blog. He’s in his 80′s. Funny!

• ChrisBird says:

Well, I wouldn’t expect anyone to really understand it. My mom reads it all the time, but my dad is a horseman, and doesn’t really pay much attention to the internet unless it’s horse related. I think he has the few sites he visits, and that’s it. He may read it for all I know, but he doesn’t ever mention it if he does.

I hope I make it to my 80′s.

6. Maggie S. says:

Sounds like a good place to be in. I could be The President and Mother Teresa rolled into one and not gain the respect of my family. And if I said shit on Thanksgiving, I’d be in trouble.

7. Jay Sharp says:

I get teary-eyed watching my Birdie take flight. Fly Birdie Fly! You are moving on up to greater things! Great read, my friend.

8. My parents still aren’t completely on board with the whole blogging thing. They think I am screwing myself for potential future employment by over-sharing about my life.

But isn’t that what writing is all about?

• ChrisBird says:

It’s probably pretty tough to understand why we do it, coming from their viewpoint, but the times change. Could you imagine if we all had columns in the newspaper? Then they’d think you were something. Oh, and yes, that is what it’s all about. For us anyhow.

9. Kianwi says:

Geez, sometime even I don’t understand blogging! It’s funny, though, because I stumbled into it, and now I can’t imagine not having my blog. The return to writing has been one of the most important things I’ve done in my life towards making me feel satisfied with myself.

1. [...] first post as a writer is now up at Aiming Low. It is, however, not my first post on their fine site. I had previously submitted two, and one got [...]

2. [...] majored in Advertising because I thought it was a great way to be able to write, but still be in business, which seemed practical. Blech. I also thought it would be a good idea to [...]