I never thought of myself as a fangirl.
Band geek? Of course. (In case you were wondering, I played the flute and NO, I did not go to band camp.)
School nerd? Absolutely. (Totally not a humblebrag: I graduated high school with a 3.8 GPA.)
But a fangirl? Not really.
And then in the summer of 2011 I watched my first episode of the 2005 reboot of Doctor Who. I was instantly hooked. I wanted to watch and rewatch episodes as often as I could. I’m such a sucker for British accents. And when you add the ability to go anywhere in the universe at any point in time, I can’t help but think hells yes. Everyone has their obsessions and Doctor Who became mine.
How do I know that it’s an obsession as opposed to just liking something a whole lot?
- I’ve spent countless hours scouring YouTube for Doctor Who videos and reading Doctor Who blogs.
- I dressed up as the T.A.R.D.I.S. for Halloween.
- I would be totally stoked if my husband built me one.
- If I wasn’t already married I would want to use these as my save the dates.
- I will share almost anything Doctor Who related I find in my Google Reader on Google Plus (contrary to popular belief, it’s not a ghost town), Twitter, and Facebook.
- I have a Pinterest board dedicated to all things Geektastic. The board is probably 85% filled with Doctor Who stuff.
- I would wear this skirt but not to a costume party. I’d wear it to the grocery store, credit union, or to my annual ob/gyn exam. I consider it everyday wear.
- I find myself quoting or referencing Doctor Who on my personal blog at least once a week.
- I’ve tried fish fingers and custard. Not something I would eat on a regular basis but not that bad.
- I get über excited when a new episode airs. The anticipation of it all and the joy when the day finally arrives, it’s kind of like Christmas for me.
- I developed a harmless crush on the 10th Doctor. He rocks a pin-striped suit and trainers like nobody’s business. He has great hair. His pronunciation of the words what and allons-y are unbelievably adorable. And I may or may not have had several slightly inappropriate dreams about him.
These days, I don’t mind if others call me a fangirl.
And I love it when someone calls me a Whovian.
Guys and gals, tell me, what’s your obsession?