MU Teen: On Being Grateful

It’s 2:52 a.m. I can hear the dogs bark. I am working terribly to squeeze a little something out of my tiny brain, but it’s frozen.

I wonder what it would be like to have all my dreams come true–to get into Harvard, write a book which will win trillions of hearts, adopt a kid, and so on.

Then I wonder what if I die. How will I feel? What it will be to like lowered in the grave and then being left all alone surrounded by terrible loneliness and murkiness that I have never ever experienced?

This year, 2012 is the worst year of my life for several reasons. I got severely ill. I missed my board exam. I lost a person who has been really close to me. I have seen an acrimonious divorce. I left my college. I have faced practically half of my fears this year. All the stuff that I never thought I would go through, not even in my wildest dreams.

On a positive note, it is also the most wonderful year of my life as I came across a lot of interesting people through writing this year. I visited the kids suffering from Thalassemia and spend a little time with them. I attended a big conference. I decorated my room the way I wanted to. I got a blackberry. I got selected as a teen writer here which is a major win.

I see a lot of my friends talking about Christmas, but I wonder what it will be like for the parents who lost their children in the school tragedy.

I wonder what life will be like for the 23-year-old girl from India who got gang-raped and is struggling between life and death.

I wonder what it’s like to face shoe-insecurity.

I feel that we need to stop craving for more and we need to stop obsessing about our problems and just pause for a minute, flush all the bad memories, recall all the good stuff, and thank God for all the awesome things in our lives. Just simply thank God, and do that right now.

So, let’s just BE GRATEFUL. Tell the individuals around you how important they are to you. Now. Celebrate little moments. EMBRACE ALL THE FLAVOURS OF LIFE. Don’t be too self-centered. Do something for someone without expecting a reward. And don’t forget to annoy mean people with your happiness!

Regards,

Ridx.
About the Writer
Ridx is a free-spirited 17-year old girl from Pakistan who is in a quest for knowledge. She likes to write, click, and paint. The person whom she admires most is her mum. She LOVES Hershey’s Kisses, Flaming Hot Cheetos, Disney Movies and stationery. Ridx truly believe in the quote from the movie Mulan: “The flower that blooms in adversity is the most rare and beautiful of all.” And she has an obsession with black panthers.

About MU Teen Writer

Comments

1. WhoopAss says:

Fab and timely post. Best wishes to you for 2013 and everything it has in store for you. Unfortunately as we get older it becomes rare to have a year untouched by sadness, disappointment or tragedy. Focusing on what is good keeps me moving on through these times, because there is always something good to focus on even if it’s just that the sun comes up every morning.

• Ridx says:

Thank you so much for the wishes. and same to you. :) I really need this for 2013. coz I hardly got any of my targets accomplished in 2012. still Grateful for all that I have – happy family, and at least i am studying. a lot of people don’t. and I have everything that many children in Africa would kill for – food, safe water and stuff. so yes we are really blessed. and you are so true about that. I mean getting older and having a year untouched by sadness is the rarest thing seriously. But you know what? If you don’t get all these disappointments and stuff, you wont realize the value of happiness and most importantly, this is what makes you BEAUTIFUL. A quote just clicked in my mind.

Here it is.

” The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen.”

PS: check this pic I just came across it.

oh and thank you so much for your precious time to read and to give me feedback. Lots of love.

2. MamaKaren says:

When you have a horribly challenging year, but you make it through to celebrate a newly emerging year, it’s good to look back on what you’ve survived. Those painful time prove your strength. A few years ago, my daughter was in a psych hospital a few weeks before Christmas after having had a very tough year psychologically and emotionally. I didn’t sent cards, I barely decorated, I simplified my plans for entertaining on Christmas day. My whole family was together under one roof on Christmas Eve, and that was a bigger thing to focus on than any of the tough spots leading into the end of the year. And my experience with facing some of the difficult parts of my life has allowed me to give support and advice to other people when they asked for it. If tough spots mean I can alleviate the burden of someone who cannot handle it alone, then I faced the toughness for a good reason.

• Ridx says:

OMG. SO TRUE. WELL SAID. :’)

“And my experience with facing some of the difficult parts of my life has allowed me to give support and advice to other people when they asked for it. If tough spots mean I can alleviate the burden of someone who cannot handle it alone, then I faced the toughness for a good reason.”

I totally agree. trillion percent. :)

now i believe I am in a much better position to be a counselor or something like that. you know you need to have some people who are truly in love with helping others and just trying to solve their problems. I want to be one of them. I think that is important more than anything in the world. a smile, a hug, sharing your personal experiences can really mean a world to someone else.

I actually thank God for this challenging year. and my life basically. i wonder what life is without any trouble or anything like that. smooth is not really my idea of life.

and I believe you are one really STRONG PERSON. at least now you are in a position to help people out, help others deal with the stress.

also, when you have a family, like a family support. it doesn’t mean all of them. even support of one family member helps a lot. No? what do you think?

“There is beauty in a woman whose confidence comes from experiences; a woman who knows she can fall, pick herself up and move on.”

I guess this suits you. ^

Cheers on being strong. :)

3. Ramsha says:

You are right ofcourse:) We should love what we have. Because we have everything we NEED.

4. wh1skey says:

be grateful. death, pain, loss is a part of life. and its what adds to the beauty of its opposite. :)

very well written rid

1. [...] Practice gratitude. If you are able to read this, on a desktop computer, laptop or on a phone, you likely have a lot to be thankful for. Try not to take it for granted. So many people struggle just to survive. Make a point of listing one or two things you are grateful for every day. [...]