I’m Tall: So What?

My entire life I’ve been getting to know myself, but still there is always more to learn. This past weekend I spent some time with loved ones and it made me realize that I get hung up on definitions. If I decide something about myself, that’s that–it’s set in stone (even though I know that nothing is set in stone and even if it is, stones have been known to change or erode).

For example, I’m tall. I’ve been tall for as long as I can remember. In elementary school I was always the tallest in my class. In my family, I was the tallest kid (and later, the tallest adult). I finally stopped growing at 5’10″. I didn’t always embrace it. Sometimes it made me feel noticeable in a bad way, but at some point along the line I made peace with it and accepted it as part of my identity. I’m just tall.

Most of the time I don’t think about it until I stand next to someone and they say, “Oh you’re so tall!” I say nothing, but I think: Why yes, yes I am tall.

Last weekend when I spent time with my loved ones, I wasn’t tall. Nope. I wasn’t even the second tallest or even the tallest woman. I was the third tallest, which made me feel kinda short–and I’m not used to feeling short. How strange that not being the tallest woman in the room made me feel uncomfortable. How strange to talk about my childhood and say, “I was really tall in 6th grade,” and then feel like I had to justify it because there were other people in the room that were way taller than I am, and who were probably also taller than my 6th grade self when they were in 6th grade.

It made me realize that some things that I hold to be at the core of who I am don’t actually define me. Being tall isn’t who I am, it’s just an attribute that I have. I shouldn’t get so hung up on certain details and neither should you.

Photo Credit

About UnknownMami

Unknown Mami can also be found writing at Unknown Mami, an often humorous blog about life and mami-hood; it's strong enough for a mami, but made for everyone. She has been known to get her tweet on and posts a tad on Facebook.

Comments

1. Leanne says:

You’re right. And I can sorta relate because I’m short and yep, I was the shortest kid in the sixth grade class. And now? My daughter is struggling with being the shortest in her sixth grade class…. Oh, and I love the giraffe picture by the way.

2. Love that last part about not getting hung up on all the details. I’m 5’8″ and have jokingly referred to myself for years as Amazon Woman (I’m also big boned and wear size 9.5 or 10 shoes).

love this.
    xoxoxo

3. Sarah says:

I’m 5′ 9″ and usually one of the tallest women anywhere.

Then I went to my cousin’s wedding. He is 6′ 7″ so I wore really tall shoes because it seemed safe. There were four women there that were over 6′. I felt short. It was disconcerting.

4. Gina says:

Great post! I, too, am on the tall side but possibly short to you at a little over 5’8″. I love wearing heels when going out so that puts me in the 5’11″ or more range. It’s amazing to me at times how small everyone else seems. I love it though. Added benefit if your weight fluctuates, no one can usually tell.

5. Susannah says:

I love being tall too, 5’11″ and every day I wish I would have stretched that extra inch. So… you know… heels. But my husband is about 6’1″ and we have some very good friends who are both over 6 foot so when the 4 of us are together, I’M the short one and I become VERY conscious of it. I think it’s because being the tall one? I’m comfortable with that, that’s familiar. But when I’m not? It’s VERY strange feeling. I get what you are saying.

6. La Fregada says:

Oh, I can so relate! To top it off, I am a 5′ 10″ Mexicana who moved to a bordertown which accented my height whereas further North has more of a race mixture. I come from an area in Mex where the indigenous folks were amongst the tallest. Being tall has its benefits, though :).

7. Kim says:

I am also 5’10, and didn’t learn to appreciate my height until I started playing basketball and volleyball in high school. Throughout elementary school and jr. high, I would try to slouch down and just out my hip, etc. in class pictures.

I don’t really think of myself as tall—it’s not like I feel like I’m towering over people or anything—until the rare occasion when I run into a woman who is taller than me and then I almost resent her (who does she think she is being taller than me?!) My daughter accuses me of having “height pride” but, whatever, SHE’S JUST SHORT ; )