How To Tie a Wind and Fushnicken Resistant Scarf Knot

Where I live in Saskatchewan, the weather changes every five minutes, so I have a habit of carrying a scarf with me, even in the warmer months. Despite spending nearly four decades in this blessed area of the world, though, I never learned how to tie a scarf properly until very recently.

I am often fashion challenged in this way. I once wore a rope for a belt for several months. It’s true. Luckily, I have been graced with a metrosexual husband who is wise in the way of belts and scarves and such.

scarf

He has schooled me about a scarf-tying method that keeps your scarf in place whether you are caught in a wind storm or some little fushnicken has decided to yank on it, and I would like to pass along his knowledge to you.

How To Tie A Wind- And Fushnicken-Resistant Scarf Knot

1. Make a loose circle in the middle of the scarf.

scarf tying 1

2. Cross the right side over the top of the circle.

scarf tying 2

3. Cross the left side over the top as you did with the right side.

scarf tying 3

4. Pull the top scarf layer through the space between the second layer and the original bottom scarf circle.

scarf tying 4

5. Wear it!

scarf tying 5

I love this scarf knot, because:

• it looks good whether it is tied up close to the neck or left to hang a little lower,
  • it never comes undone in the wind,
  • pulling on one end does not pull the knot tighter,
  • the knot works well with both thinner and thicker scarves, and
  • although it looks more complex, it’s easy to tie after only a couple of trial runs.

So, now that you are armed with my spectacular scarf-tying method, go out and be more fabulous! I know I am.

About Schmutzie

Schmutzie can most commonly be found at Schmutzie.com, but she's also the founder of Ninjamatics and the Grace in Small Things social network in her ongoing efforts to make stuff on the internet and spread things that don't suck.

She gets social on Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, and StumbleUpon.

Comments

1. Tracy says:

Uh, great. Now I totally have THIS in my head:

Awesome!

2. Novice Wife says:

SUCH a useful post – thank you!

3. Aleigh says:

Onion you are so helpful with the scarf tying!

4. HeatherS says:

I did it! I did it! I did it! I don’t think I’ll ever be able to do it without laying the scarf out on the floor in front of the computer screen and following your step by step directions, but I did it. (Note: I’ve never bought anything other than a winter scarf and today on a whim I bought a very pretty scarf on the clearance rack at Target for $2.48. Afterward I thought, What the hell am I going to do with this? Fate. Definitely fate.)

5. Janie says:

Sweeet! I never knew!!

6. WOAH! Even though it’s eleventy-billion degrees here, I DID IT too!

7. Dr. Cynicism says:

I’m still surprised this fashion tip came from the husband!

8. Jude says:

I grabbed a few of my favorite pretty scarves to give this a whirl. Quite helpful!

Thanks a million…well I couldn’t afford a million but I would buy you a good coffee if you came to my town!!

9. Schmutzie says:

I’m glad you like it!

10. IzzyMom says:

You should see me with a scarf. You’d get a good laugh —> TOTALLY HELPLESS FLORIDIAN HERE.

11. I think I wear my scarves like this, but I am not so sure….you must show me if I am doing it correctly in just a couple of weeks! (SQUEE!) (yes I totally squeed in your comments but it was in parenthesis and so therefore it is whispered….also I am pretty sure I butchered the word parenthesis)

12. Marie says:

This boosted my scarf-wearing confidence in one easy try! Varra cool. Of course, the scarf is stylish, but the cat just makes it.

13. Rosstwinmom says:

God bless you. We moved from Texas to Poland in January. Every chic Euro woman has 100 scarves and knows how to wear them in a way that doesn’t scream, “Hi! I’m wearing a scarf! It’s my first time! Can I have a cookie?”

Now, I too can be snotty and cute.

14. Kendra says:

Phew! This took me a while… but I eventually realized I putting my head through the wrong part. :P Cute! Thx for sharing… I’m wearing this right now.

15. Kendra says:

Phew! This took me a while… but I eventually realized I was putting my head through the wrong part. :P Cute! Thx for sharing… I’m wearing this right now.

16. Deb says:

Im starting to think the cat did all the work… :o so cute and useful ty

17. Kristy says:

Not to be overly dramatic, but I think this just changed my life! Thank you! :)

18. Amanda says:

Thanks for this idea! I work with kids with disabilities and love scarves, but my kiddos have discovered that tugging on my scarf is a very effective way to get my attention. Finally a way to wear scarves without getting choked all day

19. Bibi says:

I love this tutorial….I always have troubles to do my scarf and I usually give up. So glad I StumbledUpon your post.

20. avery says:

umm there is a way easier way to do that…you just fold it in half drape over your neck and then put one end through the loop then twist the loop then put the other one through… and VOIA LA!

21. Beverly says:

I love this. I’ve got many scarves and they often feel bulky, but is great. Thanks

22. Mahara says:

So I StumbledUpon this today…and promptly tried it with two of my favourite scarves (of which I have dozens). It works WONDERFULLY!! Thank you and your hubby so very much!

23. Christine says:

I love it! I, too, live in Saskatchewan and I really like the looks and practicality of the knot :) Thank you1

24. CarolineWalter says:

Could you explain what is a fushnicken? We love the scarf tie, but are having trouble figuring out what is a fushnicken-resistant anything because we don’t know what is a fushnicken.

Thanks!

25. Michelle says:

This is so cute! My roommate and I LOVE this. Definitely working it tomorrow!

26. Lacy says:

Props to the awesome article!! I’m from Sk too :)

Always good to hear from another Sasky!

27. sooz says:

yay! excellent tip, just in time for the cold weather.

28. Raene says:

I live in Saskatchewan too and I legit was having this problem today! I like wearing scarves but they blow all over the place unexpectedly, thanks for the tip!

29. UnknownMami says:

This will be my new signature scarf knot.

30. lisleman says:

Looks like you taught your cat how to do it. How well does the cat tie the scarf?

31. Peryl says:

Brilliant!! I grew up in Victoria, so I wasn’t as well-versed in scarves as you would be in Saskatchewan. I’m going to refer this article every time I get dressed to go out now :).

32. I did it. And now I’m leaving it tied so I can just slip it over my head every time. Like my Grandpa did with his neckties.

33. Anna says:

Great! I tried it! So easy and looks great!

34. Donna Cardoza says:

Nice to have a sister with a daughter-in-law who is “in the know”. This scarf-tying technique is the cat’s meow. Thanks

35. NancyB says:

Just did it – Love It! Wearing it now.

36. I love it! It’s a little chilly today with all the winds so this is perfect. Thanks for the tips, I usually just drape across my shoulders, haha. :)

37. Kate Adams says:

Thank you! My Granddaughters will love this hint!!!

38. Mira Heon says:

i love your cat
    haha

39. Christy says:

Wow! That is so smart! Thanks for contribute such impressive instructions.

40. Good idea and nice post!

Kisses.

LV

41. So cute!love it!Thanks

42. Kari says:

That’s neat, I have the perfect scarf to go with it! My scarf/sweater, coolest thing I’ve ever bought, and I know you’ll all want one when you see this so to help you out use code SAVE0211, I got $2 off with it :) They have them at http://www.siblee.com.

43. Mezzo says:

Do you have one for the Cat?

44. CONCERNED SCARF WEARER says:

WHY DIDN’T YOU MAKE THIS TUTORIAL WITH THE SCARF ON YOUR NECK!?!?!?!

45. Melissa says:

I just tried and it literally screamed “OH MY GOD” at how easy it is to tie and how nice it looks! I have a few scarves and can never wear them fashionably but now I can thanks to you!! Love it. THANK YOU!

46. Paromita says:

Very Nice Fashion Styling Tips . Good Way to wear scarf and make this accessory show.

47. Lesummer says:

Thanks!! this looks gorgeous

1. [...] otherwise drab outfit whether you’re wearing a t-shirt and jeans or something dressier, and it’s not hard to learn a knot or two that’ll make you look like you mean [...]

2. [...] How To Tie a Wind and Fushnicken Resistant Scarf Knot | Aiming Low [...]

3. [...] How To Tie a Wind and Fushnicken Resistant Scarf Knot | Aiming Low [...]

4. [...] How To Tie a Wind and Fushnicken Resistant Scarf Knot | Aiming Low 3 . Cross the left side over the top as you did with the right side. 2 . [...]

5. [...] How To Tie a Wind and Fushnicken Resistant Scarf Knot | Aiming Low 3 . [...]

6. [...] How To Tie a Wind and Fushnicken Resistant Scarf Knot. Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like this. Category : Top Tip [...]