Miss Piggy is Wrong About Artichokes

So I was scouring the web the other day trying to find a pithy Julia Child quote to share with you guys, when I came across a very disappointing quote by someone that I have been a fan of since I was a little girl. Miss Piggy says…and I quote…”After all the trouble you go to, you get about as much actual “food” out of eating an artichoke as you would from licking 30 or 40 postage stamps.” I really, really love Miss Piggy. She was amazing in the Muppets Take Manhattan and I mean…come on…who doesn’t love bacon, right? However, I have to wholeheartedly disagree with her statement and I’m pretty sure that Julia Child would side with me as well. Artichokes are delicious.

Photobucket

Look. I get it. They look scary. All prickly and mean looking on the outside. Don’t judge a book by its cover though. It’s what is inside that matters.

Photobucket

Prepping and cooking artichokes is very simple. Using a pair kitchen shears, trim off any prickly tips from the leaves.

Photobucket

Then, cut about a 1/2 inch off the top of the artichoke.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Pull off any small leaves from the base and cut the stem off.

Photobucket

Note: Some people like to eat the stem, but some think it tastes bitter. Cutting the stem off also makes it easier to serve.

Wash the artichoke under running water.

TIP! If you’re not cooking them immediately, place the artichokes in a bowl of cold water with the juice of a couple of lemons. This keeps the artichokes from browning.

Fill a large pan with just enough water to cover bottom. Bring the water to a boil. Place artichokes in a steamer basket and lower into the pan. Cover and steam for 25-50 minutes or until outer leaves can easily be pulled off. Cooking time depends on the size of your artichokes.

Photobucket

So, now how do you eat these bad boys? Easy. Pull off outer petals one at a time. Dip the end in something sinful like melted butter or mayonnaise.

Photobucket

Put the petal in your mouth and pull through your teeth to remove the soft portion of the leaf. Throw the remaining petal away. Repeat until all of the petals are removed. Then, it’s time for the best part. The heart. But before you can taste the love, you have to get past the hairy, gross looking part called the choke.

Photobucket

Grab a spoon or a knife and scrape the choke out until it looks something like this…

Photobucket

That’s the heart. Eat it. Divine, I tell you.

Until next time, “Bon Appétit!”

About Piera

Piera Jolly is a thirty-something wife, mother, blogger, aspiring cookbook author and wannabe photographer living in Atlanta, Georgia. You can find Piera on her popular mom blog JollyMom.com where she writes about the latest trends for moms and kids, crafts, and recipes. You can find Piera tweeting as @jollymom or on Facebook as TheJollyMom.

Comments

1. Shannon says:

My husband likes to cook these in a vat of heavily salted water, olive oil and garlic cloves. Omg, talk about sinful.

• Shannon says:

I should add, he also stuffs little garlic cloves in the leaves of the artechoke (3 – 4 per) for extra garlicky goodness.

• Piera says:

Yes! Can’t believe I forgot to add that it’s delicious to add aromatics to the water. However, I never thought to stuff the artichokes with garlic–ingenious!

2. Jen says:

Hey what kid didn’t like licking their parents postage stamps? So there Miss Piggy!

Love artichokes; especially the little ones BTW I peal back the stems with a paring knife.

I cook them with, garlic, olive oil and lemon and fresh parsley ,yum yum!

3. I’m a week into a no-carb diet,this works, doesn’t it?

• Piera says:

Artichokes have carbs, but not that many. They should be fine for Atkins or South Beach and best of all–you can dip them into real butter or full fat mayo without having to feel bad lol.

4. Cari J says:

Artichokes have always been a favorite at our house – my 3yo can eat a good sized one by herself! Melted butter is de-lish (on just about anything) & cooking them with garlic is so good. But for dipping, to the mayo add a bit of vinegar (we like red wine or spiced rice wine vinegar) & lots of dill or basil. Or add one herb to the butter & another to the mayo. Marie’s Blue Cheese dressing has a recipe for an artichoke dip too. mmmmm… so many delicious possibilities!
    Guess what I just decided we’re having for dinner tonight!

5. HeatherS says:

I buy them already marinated in olive oil in a jar. Is that wrong? They are awesome in an Italian pasta salad. I’ve never had them fresh. I will have to try them this way.

6. Felicia says:

Ok… you just made me want to try this! The sad part is that you are going to have to come over and finish them off with me. When the fam sees these up close and personal… they are running for the hills!

7. pocket_queen says:

First off I have to say, I love your posts here! Which made me have to go to your website and.. aren’t you an everyday Martha! :) I got lots of great ideas there.
    About the artichokes, I’ve never ventured to cooking them, but now thank.you.very.much I can’t get over the thought of these with hollandaise sauce… I’m so glad tomorrow it Saturday and that means farmer’s market!! =) Thanks and keep up the posts!

1. Homepage says:

… [Trackback]…

[...] Informations on that Topic: aiminglow.com/2011/06/miss-piggy-wrong-about-artichokes/ [...]…